Looking to Buy late 80's BMW

Hey guys i'm new to this forum.
Here's my situation, winters ending and i don't feel like driving my Toyota 4runner around during the summer because it sucks on gas, and is slow.

I am looking at late 80's BMW 3 series for something fun to drive around. I'll probably buy something that needs a little work so i can't get it for cheap.

So what should i be looking for?

What motors were good?

How many miles are too many?

I want a manual transmission, anything besides the clutch i should check?

Any common problems with 3 series i should look out for?

Whats better hardtop or convertible?

What year did BMW put airbags in?

I know about cars, but not specifically about BMWs so anything you guys want to tell me would help.

Big Daddy

A better place to start would be how much do you plan to spend and what are you using the car for, work, fun, travel, etc.? An 80's car can be up to 30 years old and unless well cared for and in pristine condition woould not be a car I would travel in for long distances. Further unless you are capable of repairing the car yourself they can require a lot of work to make dependable. That said a restored or well cared for E30 can be a wonderfull and great car to drive!

i would use this car mainly for fun, and short trips to work or the store nothing too far.
I am definitely capable of repairing cars, and if the repairs were going to be to extensive i just wouldn't buy it.
I am looking to spend at max $1500 depending on the condition.

Honestly, you'll never find anything for $1500 that's not rusty in Massachusetts. Maybe you'll luck out and find something from down south on eBay. I've never had an E30 but I've always heard good things about them. You're probably looking for an 87 to 91 325i. The engines last 300,000 miles IF they've been maintained all through the years. Manual trannies are more durable. I'd love to have one of these cars too but ones in good condition are getting hard to find.

that's not true, you can find ones with out too much rust up here. The way i think about it is, people might not drive these during the winter because they're rear wheel drive, so they just use them as summer cars.
I have seen a few on craigslist that don't look too bad.

Big Daddy

Looks can be deceiving, I have view many a photo of a car and than in person you could see rust, scrapes, dents, etc. I just checked the Craigslist fro E30's and found two in Boston. One was a convert @ $2600 and the other an 88 for $1200. has "surface rust" and needs rear shocks and springs. Good luck!

At this point, most of them need new suspension... and the age almost doesn't matter any more... You're almost better off finding one with quite a few miles on it, as all the parts that fail will have been replaced already (clutch, or tranny). I always look for rust first... anything mechanical can be replaced, and generally E30 parts are not that expensive. Stay away from early 318i's with the M10, but anything with the M20 or M42 will be a very strong engine, with the M42 giving you fairly good mileage. I've had a 325e that lasted 500,000kms+ so they will live as long as you let them. Just make sure it's been well cared for... there's no need to jump at the first one you see... be picky.

ya i'm definitely shopping around. I already have a vehicle so the only way i'm buying another one is if it's exactly what i want.

What do people think is a better car, a 325i or 325e? Is it a trade off between performance and fuel economy?

Does anyone know when BMW first put air bags in the E30s?

Yeah, the 325e is more durable and gets better mileage. The 325i is a higher revving more powerful engine. Neither one is going to be a barn burner though. They were quick for their time but cars have come a long way since then. If you're lucky you'll score an "s" model with the sport suspension and seats.

I've had two 325e's and have two 325i's at home right now, and I would say that I don't really notice much of a difference with the automatic tranny... neither are really fast, but both cruise on the highway really nicely around 140km/h (90mph). There's nothing really wrong with either of them... the 325e is a torque monster once you chip it... and the fuel mileage isn't really that much better. Either one with a manual will be as fast as you want it to be. I'm actually kinda partial towards the 325e... the 2.7L has a nice sound to it!

Does anyone know the 0-60 times on either the 325i or 325e? I have seen a few specs that said high 8's, but there was a lot of inconsistency.

When did BMW stopping making the 325e? I haven't seen a 90 yet. The only way my parents will let me get another car is if it has an air bag. From what i have found the 89 was the first year with air bags.

Another question, how expensive are these engines to rebuild myself? I want to see if buying one that needs a rebuild would be a reasonable option. Also in general how expensive are parts for these cars?

Yeah, I'm bringing ths one back from the dead, because not all questions were answered here. Airbags didn't come into play until 1989 I believe, but were just an option, and in 1992, they were standard equipment. So you weren't allowed to but anything without an airbag, but you did, and now you're wasting your time wanting to put a 4point in. Why didn't you just find an E36... they all have airbags. Maybe you should call your insurance company and ask them what their policy is on 4 points.

well as the above post hinted to I bought one. It's a 1987 325is 2door with about 140,000 miles. Needs a few things but it's driveable.