V8-powered BMW M3 revealed

i second that. the M3 should stay I6. Sure, a V8 has the potential of being a biger engine, but an M3 is an M3 is an M3!!! and an M3 should have an I6. the setup of the I6 is, next the boxer engine, the best setup for a smoooth engine with, as we know, also high potential [thumb]

Making the M3 a v8 sounds good on paper, but any owner of the current e46 M3 will tell you that the 333HP, high revving V6 has PLENTY of power.

If you drive it without any aides like traction controll, or spin control, the car is hard to keep from spinning out at first. Trying to power slide in this car takes real skill and control, and is scarier than all hell! The torque and low end power of this car is serious. Unless the new M3 is much heavier, I can't see why they made it a V8, unless they just want to be on par with the Audis and Mercs that compare.

Then you consider the issues the new 3 series is having (like most new cars have), I would like to wait until they work the kinks out to get this one.

I'll be looking for these on the road next year....

Wadula said:
i second that. the M3 should stay I6. Sure, a V8 has the potential of being a biger engine, but an M3 is an M3 is an M3!!! and an M3 should have an I6. the setup of the I6 is, next the boxer engine, the best setup for a smoooth engine with, as we know, also high potential [thumb]

Yeah but the m5 should have a V8 now it has a V10, so i guess the new m3 will have to upgrade too. altho M5s did have I6's too [idea]

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
mc909321 said:
Making the M3 a v8 sounds good on paper, but any owner of the current e46 M3 will tell you that the 333HP, high revving V6 has PLENTY of power.

If you drive it without any aides like traction controll, or spin control, the car is hard to keep from spinning out at first. Trying to power slide in this car takes real skill and control, and is scarier than all hell! The torque and low end power of this car is serious. Unless the new M3 is much heavier, I can't see why they made it a V8, unless they just want to be on par with the Audis and Mercs that compare.

Then you consider the issues the new 3 series is having (like most new cars have), I would like to wait until they work the kinks out to get this one.

I'll be looking for these on the road next year....

E46 M3 - 343hp....wait a minute I am in Europe....LOL
Not a V6.....its an I6(inline).....

I believe that car is the new coupe, possibly the 335. You will notice no side vents and the front grill looks to have an intercooler. I could be wrong, but I think the new M3 will look much beefier than that!