2005 BMW 336i

Ben

ODDferkOUT said:
Am I alone in thinking that the best BMWs made were the late-80's to mid-90's ones? Please tell me I'm not alone in that... [V]
you are definatly not alone.

Take a long look at the current line of 3 and 5 series (Not ethe E60). Though stylins & distinctive, their appearance is clearly aged and becoming boring in comparison to the rest of the auto world.

The new Z4 and E60 are an amazingly bold step into the next generation of automobile styling. This has been done without the spaceship styling of Chrysler, or techno-plastic looks of Nissan (Particularly their interiors!).

It is human nature to resist change. I firmly believe that this is the main resistance to Bangle's step into the next generation of BMW styling. AFter not too long, the Z4 & E60 5-Series grows on you. Soon after you resist you initial repugnance to change & try to be a bit objective, you will realize that BMW has come forth with a classic new look that will be copies by others.

I'll be THRILLED to be seen in my new car when I get my new E60 545 next year.

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
My problem is not that they will be copied, it is the fact that when you look at some of the body features, it appears that they copied other manufacturers. Bmw has never taken such a drastic change in styling, and they have never needed to. People buy the BMW's because they have normally admired them for a long time. This is both in a styling perspective, as well as performance. This company has never had to cater to the styling needs of the masses. Ever since they started making automobiles, they have made minor changes to the styling, and performance, in order to try to create the perfect automobile, for the amount of technology that is available. I don't mind the Z4 (except for the rear) but the new five, seven, and what I see of the new three and their stupid idea of creating the one, do grow on people. Cancer, moles, warts, chancre's, pustules, gumma's, and abcesses also grow on people. There is no need to make such a drastic change in these cars. This leads to more people, that have money, buying the cars because they want it for a status symbol, not because they appreciate quality.

I also believe that the classy interior styling that has so weel grasped hold onto the human eye is accredited to one, and one car only. The fine GERMAN automobile that has had it's interior copied endlesss time. The Audi TT

ODDferkOUT said:
Am I alone in thinking that the best BMWs made were the late-80's to mid-90's ones? Please tell me I'm not alone in that... [V]

I'm with ben. You definitely are not alone in that thinking. I have had two e30' s and will probably own more in the years to follow. They are great cars

Ben

Jimmyg50 said:

It is human nature to resist change.
I am not resisting the change, i just like the older style cars better in general, and theres not so many things that can go wrong.

DrPierceMD said:
I'm with ben. You definitely are not alone in that thinking. I have had two e30' s and will probably own more in the years to follow. They are great cars
E30's in my opinion, the best BMWs of all time. They may not be the best made, but they're what put the marque on the map.

Jimmyg50 said:

It is human nature to resist change. I firmly believe that this is the main resistance to Bangle's step into the next generation of BMW styling. AFter not too long, the Z4 & E60 5-Series grows on you. Soon after you resist you initial repugnance to change & try to be a bit objective, you will realize that BMW has come forth with a classic new look that will be copies by others.

I'll be THRILLED to be seen in my new car when I get my new E60 545 next year.
I would disagree, it is more than change, it is driving a car at twice or more the price of others and having it look like a direct copy of them. It looks like BMW has intentionally copied the others. There are other ways to bring more current designs into play, but it is not necessary to make them look like all other cars on the road. I believe that sales will suffer. When my lease is up what incentive is there for me to lease another new BMW? They now look so much like the Honda, and a few others, so I should just save the money.

junglestylz said:
My problem is not that they will be copied, it is the fact that when you look at some of the body features, it appears that they copied other manufacturers.

I agree. BMW must have designed the cars to look like others. They clearly copied designs and made no attempt to maintain any uniqueness.

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
The whole train of thought is "if people buy Honda Accords, Let's make our cars look likr them and boost sales". I SAY BOO TO THIS MARKETING STRATEGY!!!!!!!!!! It really doesn't matter what the interior looks like to most people, nor how much power. But the frist initial sight is what makes a car stand out. I personally like knowing that when somebody see's the ever present front end of an E30/E36 bimmer in their rear view, they know not to pull out because it is a bimmer. When they see the new Honda/Toyota/Pontiac front end in their rear view, they will think nothing of it. The design that they are producing right now will do nothing but drop the overall respect that people have for the cars. You could have 700 HP, in a Honda civic, but I wouldn't give a shit. Where as you could have 300 hp in a Porsche, and I would still swoon over it because of the styling. Who other than the newly rich, yuppies are going to buy the new M5. Especially when it looks like an Accord¿

Isaac13

Ok, i'm just going to poke my nose in here and inject my two (three) cents. I think the new 7 is ok, not great, but not piss poor either. The "old" 7 was a large, formidable vehicle that was easily recognizable, but an aging body style. The new one is still big, but it doesn't portray the over all magnitude of owning a 7. I think it's a very interesting design, but it doesn't make me want to go out and buy one. I'd much rather have a sweet ass older one than the new techno new one. That being said I think the 3 series does need a redesign, just not the assy pictures we've seen! They need to keep with the aggressive styling of the E36 M3, that car was simply bad ass!! The E46 is a killer ride and i'd LOVE to own one, but i don't think it's as aggressive looking as the older one. They need to up the ante a bit and take a leap. The new 5 is ok, but it truly looks like a shrunken 7, and we already know my feelings on that. But I guess that's what they might want, is to be able to recognize ANY BMW because they ALL look alike, just smaller versions of their big brother, the 7. Ah hell, who knows what they'll do!! I'm still saving to afford a E36 M3 or an E46 323is.... got a long way to go though...[paranoid]

I look forward to the new body styling. Don't get me wrong, I think it is real bad... however, a 2003/4 M3 in 2005 will be a lot cheaper and more affordable for poor little me.

Ben

yeah as much as i hate new cars i'd love to have a e46 330i or m3, they still look like bimmers.